Thursday, July 16, 2009

Obliviated by Oblivion

I started a new character in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in May. I keep marvelling at myself over this, because I clocked almost 200 hours with my first character and got nearly to the end of the main story as well as finishing Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine (plus a ton of other side-quests), but decided I really wanted to use all the knowledge I gained in that play-through to create a better character that levels smarter.


What makes us do this?

I realize that I'm literally late to the game, as we didn't have a PS3 until last Christmas. I got the game for my boyfriend for his February birthday, thinking I would never touch it because I was busy with LittleBigPlanet. Well, it turned out that we both got obsessed, but maybe I did even more so because since he finished the main line he has only played once while I forge on with my still-lame new elf, trying to get all my strategy just right.


Okay, it probably helps that I can't afford any new games right now. Oblivion may be the best value in gaming, it's now cheap and really amuses for so many hours. It's also fun to watch someone else play. It's also fun to talk about, since every player has different experiences according to how they choose to play and what kind of character they want to be. It's also, it's also... I could write a book on my experiences.

Actually, one of my Sims is almost literally writing the tales of my new character. He's a fantasy author, so it makes sense, right? I name all of his books after her.

I haven't been playing Oblivion as much because of the Sims 3, a too-full DVR, and the fact that both the PS3 and the Wii are on the same TV and we both play both, but I do still play and I'm REALLY craving some sword fighting at the moment.

So, as much as I'm dying to get my hands on a few new games, I'm endlessly grateful to Bethesda for creating something that can be so enjoyable for such a ridiculously long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment